An infantile colic is defined as episodes of crying for more than 3 hours a day, for more than 3 days a week for 3 weeks in an otherwise healthy and well fed infant between the ages of 2 weeks and 4 months. There are many causes including an immature digestive tract (often seen with c-section babies), swallowing air while feeding, reacting to something in the mothers diet if breastfed, allergies to formula and organic disease like constipation, infections and reflux to name a few.
The following home remedies may help ease the discomfort:
• Swaddle your baby with legs flexed
• Hold the baby on its sides or stomach
• Swing the baby side to side or back and forth while supporting the head
• Try giving him more time in a front baby carrier (the kind you wear over your chest)
• Make eye contact, talk, hold the baby
• Take your baby for a ride in the car (but not when you are sleepy)
• Use “white noise” (such as static on the radio or the vacuum cleaner), classical music, or a “heartbeat tape” next
to the crib, or make a shushing sound
• Try infant massage
• Put a warm water bottle on your baby’s belly.
• Have baby suck on a pacifier
• Soak baby in a warm bath
• Try an infant swing
• Increase or decrease the amount of stimulation in the environment, like light, noise, heat, cold, etc.
• Watch out for over-stimulation or increased fatigue
Well selected homeopathic remedies, gemmotherapies (a gentle herb safe for babies) and probiotics are proving very successful in the treatment of colic and can reduce the discomfort greatly. I also find that the remedies help the digestive tract to heal and mature so that baby gets over the problem quicker and has a stronger gut growing up.
Homeopathy is a medical therapy that will avoid some of the side-effects and adverse reactions of conventional medical treatment. Homeopathy is the second most popular medical therapy in the world, and the most popular holistic system of medicine. Homeopathy is based on remedies made from a variety of different substances, all of which are known to cause symptoms of illness if taken in their normal form. However, homeopathy has discovered that substances that cause symptoms of illness can also cure those same symptoms of illness.
Call and make an appointment today 082 783 8191
Copyright © Dr Debbie Bredenkamp. All rights reserved.